Are you applying for Permanent Residency soon? One of the most popular questions we get here at is how to get a Police Certificate (also called Police Clearance).

Who is this guide for?

This guide is for individuals who are submitting applications to visit, study, work or immigrate to Canada.

Why do I need to submit a Police Certificate?

Visa Officers use Police Certificates to see if applicants have a criminal record. This helps them ascertain that applicants will not be a security risk to Canada.

Who needs to submit a Police Certificate?

Individuals who are applying as Visitors (or Tourists), International Students, Temporary Foreign Workers (or OFWs), individuals who are applying for Permanent Residency, and individuals applying for Canadian Citizenship may be asked to provide a Police Certificate.

Where do I get a Police Certificate in the Philippines?

If you are applying for Permanent Residency, you are required to submit a Police Certificate. You can do so online and in person at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

For more information, click here.

What do I do if I worked/lived in countries other than the Philippines?

For more information about securing Police Clearances from other countries, click here.

I still have questions about my application, who should I talk to?

If you still have questions about your application (and you’re already in Canada), call CIC’s Client Support Centre at 1 (888) 242-2100. 

READ MORE: Canada just made it cheaper for kids to become Canadian citizens

READ MORE: Study in Canada: SEED scholarships now available

READ MORE: Getting married to a Canadian citizen won’t get you to Canada any faster