You need a valid PR Card to return to Canada


Canada immigration entails certain responsibilities on your part as a new Permanent Resident.

Once you are granted Permanent Residency by Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the Government of Canada agency known as Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), you are free to travel outside of Canada. Just make sure that each member of your family travel with permanent residency cards that are valid.

Don’t get the PR Card confused with the Permanent Resident Visa (more correctly known as the Temporary Resident Visa or Canadian Entry Visa). Remember, you’ll only get your PR Card three months after arriving in Canada, so it might be a good idea to put off any overseas travel in the meantime.

It’s always a good idea to make sure that your PR cards are valid throughout your overseas trip and well after your return to Canada.

If you are already a Permanent Resident of Canada, you will need to present a valid Permanent Resident Card to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers if you are transiting through Canadian airports, and any time you enter Canada by plane, train, bus or boat.

If your PR card is lost or expired and you’re still outside Canada, you can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

A PRTD is a travel document is usually valid for one entry. When you return to Canada, you really should apply for a new PR Card, if you lost your old one. If it was expired, go and renew it already.

You can apply for a PRTD if you are a Permanent Resident of Canada but either lost or have an expired PR Card. You need to be outside Canada at the time you are applying for a PTRD and intend to return by plane, boat, train or bus.

You need to fill out and submit a PRTD application package showing that you still meet the requirements to remain a Permanent Resident of Canada.

A separate PRTD application package (and fee payment) is required from each family member who needs a PRTD regardless of age.

Like all other Government of Canada applications, incomplete applications will be returned and most likely result in significant delays. Fees paid are not refundable, so if you find your lost PR Card after you’ve already submitted your application, you won’t be getting your money back.

Paper application are made through Canadian Visa Application Centres (CVACs). CVACs charge processing fees in addition to the PTRD application fee.

In the Philippines, the CVAC is VFS Global. You can find more information about applying for a PRTD at their website

When you submit a PRTD application through VFS Global, you will be able to transact in Pilipino (Tagalog), take advantage of VFS Global’s extended hours of operation, track your PRTD application online and be assured that your PRTD application is complete and sent to the right visa office.

After submitting your PRTD application, you have to inform the visa office at the Canadian Embassy in Manila of any changes to your mailing address or telephone number in your original PTRD application.

After receiving your PRTD application, CVAC agents will review your application to make sure its complete. After making sure that you are still a Permanent Resident of Canada, the CVAC agent will determine if you need to submit to a face-to-face interview. You will be informed of the time and location of the interview.

If your PRTD application is denied, your documents will be returned to you.

If your PRTD application is approved, your documents will be returned to you, along with your PRTD.

Most airlines will not let you board if you don’t have either a valid PR Card or a PRTD. You don’t lose your PR status when your PR card expires, but you still need a valid PR Card or PRTD to enter Canada.

Take note that you do not need the help of a third party representative or agency to assist with your PRTD application. Also, if you have Canadian citizenship, you don’t have to apply for a PRTD.

For more information about renewing your PR Card, what your obligations are in maintaining your Canada PR status, Citizenship and Immigration Canada address and contact information, visit the official website for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) at

Hi there! We hope you enjoyed this article.

FILIPINOSINCANADA.COM is a growing community of Filipinos in Canada. We haven’t been around for very long, but we’re super enthusiastic!

If you know someone who might be interested in learning more about the Filipino experience in Canada, please do share this post by clicking on the share button below. Thanks for helping our grow our community!

We’d love to hear from you! Please drop us a line for any questions, comments and suggestions:

We’re also very social. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and check out our fantastic photos of everyday life in Canada on Instagram.

We’re just getting started, thanks for joining us on this journey!


Leave a Reply