How can I come to Canada as a Temporary Foreign Worker?


The Government of Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program TFWP continues to be very popular with Overseas Filipino Workers OFWs who want to go to Canada. Here’s how you can come to Canada as a Temporary Foreign Worker.

To come to Canada as a Temporary Foreign Worker, you must first have a Canadian employer who has authorization from the Government of Canada to hire a foreign worker.

This authorization comes in the form of a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment LMIA.

For most OFWs, you will have to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa TRV at the nearest Visa Application Centre VAC.

If you are in the Philippines, the available VACs are in Manila and Cebu.

Once you’ve been issued a TRV, you and your Canadian employer must submit documents for Verification and Authentication of Employment Documents to the Philippine Overseas Labour Office POLO which has jurisdiction over your province of employment, as part of the process of applying for an Exit Clearance with the Philippine Overseas Labour Office POEA from the Philippines.

The actual Work Permit is only issued upon your arrival in Canada, at the Port of Entry, where an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency CBSA will determine that you do indeed have a legitimate offer of employment.

Who needs a Work Permit in Canada?

If you are NOT a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident, and you are going to Canada under the TFWP, then you will need a Work Permit to be able to work legally in Canada.

What are the requirements for a Work Permit?

You will need the following to be able to apply for a Work Permit in Canada:

  • A Canadian employer with a positive LMIA
  • A valid offer of employment (job offer)
  • Successful application for a TRV from VAC
  • Verified and authenticated documents from POLO (for your Exit Clearance)
  • Exit Clearance from POEA

There are different types of Work Permits issued to different types of OFWs, depending on which immigration program you are applying for.

NOTE: Not all immigration programs allow OFWs to apply for Permanent Residency at the end of their employment contracts.

NOTE: Work Permits are temporary. The validity of a Work Permit is tied to the validity of both the employment contract and the Philippine passport (whichever is shorter).

NOTE: Only certain OFWs are eligible to apply for Permanent Residency at the end of their employment contracts. Typically, low-skilled workers are NOT eligible to apply for Permanent Residency, with the exception of Caregivers.

Hi there! We hope you enjoyed this article.

FILIPINOSINCANADA.COM is a growing community of Filipinos in Canada. We haven’t been around for very long, but we’re super enthusiastic!

If you know someone who might be interested in learning more about the Filipino experience in Canada, please do share this post by clicking on the share button below. Thanks for helping our grow our community!

We’d love to hear from you! Please drop us a line for any questions, comments and suggestions:

We’re also very social. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitterand check out our fantastic photos of everyday life in Canada on Instagram.

We’re just getting started, thanks for joining us on this journey!


Leave a Reply