Direct Hiring Jobs in Canada 2020 – how to apply for work in Canada

COVID-19 travel restrictions are currently in place for foreign nationals travelling to Canada. Only Canadian citizens and permanent residents can enter Canada at this time (with some exceptions made for certain OFWs and international students).

jobs in canada

Would you like to know how to get a job in Canada? It’s not as easy as some people would like you to believe. Understanding the complexities of the Government of Canada‘s immigration system is important to a successful application. Read on to find out how to successfully apply for jobs in Canada.

IMPORTANT NOTE: COVID-19 related travel restrictions remain in place for Canada. Check the latest updates on the official Government of Canada websites (ending with for the latest, up-to-date announcements. For more information, click here.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Recruitment agencies for Canada in the Philippines only conduct manpower pooling on behalf of Canadian employers. They are NOT responsible for issuing Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs), Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs) or Work Permits.

Canada remains a very popular destination for Filipinos to visit, study, work and immigrate. Most people think that it’s easier to apply for Canada than other countries like the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, Japan and many other countries.

How can this be? The Government of Canada has adopted a very aggressive immigration strategy, which is focused on having the best and brightest people in the world apply to come to Canada. Canada is quite dependent on immigration to fuel its economic growth.

For most Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) this involves applying for jobs under the Government of Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).


You might have heard that it’s easy to find a job in Canada, but that might not be entirely true.

In order to find a job in Canada, you must first make contact with a Canadian employer who has been authorized by the Government of Canada to hire foreign workers.

Unlike many other countries, jobs aren’t for sale in Canada. In fact, it’s a No Placement Fee Country. Canadian employers are supposed to shoulder the costs associated with hiring foreign workers, including airfare to and from Canada.

Canadian employers must go through a lengthy process of applying for approval for hiring foreign workers, which is part of the application for a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). They can only hire foreign workers in approved industries for positions that they cannot find Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Once an LMIA is approved, Canadian employers must then reach out and find prospective foreign workers.

In the Philippines, that means partnering with recruitment agencies that are licensed by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).

Only POEA-licensed recruitment agencies are allowed to conduct manpower pooling and recruitment activities on behalf of Canadian employers.

Only Canadian employers with positive LMIAs can hire foreign workers for jobs in Canada.

Most jobs in Canada are available for foreign workers under the TFWP. In most cases, foreign workers must return to their home countries at the end of their contracts.

In some cases, foreign workers may be able to transition to another immigration program that will allow them to apply for permanent residency.

If you are a high-skilled OFW, you may want to consider a more direct path towards permanent residency by applying as an immigrant directly under the Express Entry System. That way, you can bring your family with you from the very beginning.

Don’t forget, if you are a foreign trained professional (such as a doctor, engineer, teacher or nurse), you will need to have your credentials assessed and more than likely take bridging programs before you can practice in Canada.

The minimum requirements for applying to Canada vary from each immigration program, but will definitely take under consideration:

  • education,
  • work experience,
  • medical examinations, and
  • language proficiency


There are many online resources if you are looking for jobs in Canada. You should get started by looking at the Government of Canada’s official Job Bank, which you can visit right here.

If you are in the Philippines, the only place you should be looking at is at the official POEA website. POEA publishes their list of licensed recruitment agencies with valid job orders for Canada online.


It’s always a great idea to start your job search by reaching out to people in your own personal network.

You may be surprised to find out that you already know someone who has gone to Canada, and that they can provide you with some useful information to help you on your own journey.

People in your personal network may be able to answer questions you may have about working in Canada, and may even be able to connect you with prospective Canadian employers.

In most cases, Canadian employers who have questions about hiring foreign workers from the Philippines can make inquiries to the Philippine Overseas Labour Offices (POLOs) that have jurisdiction over the province or territory of employment.


In most cases, Canadian employers hiring foreign workers must submit an application for an LMIA with Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).

For more information about ESDC, click here.

Once a positive LMIA has been issued, Canadian employers can begin to look for foreign workers.

Once a Canadian employer has found a suitable foreign worker from the Philippines, they must submit the appropriate documents to the respective Philippine Government offices.

In most cases, Canadian employers must submit requirements for the Verification and Authentication of Employment Documents to the POLO which has jurisdiction over the province of employment. This includes committing to shouldering the foreign worker’s travel expenses (details are available in the Addendum to the Employment Contract.

In most cases, Canadian employers who hire multiple foreign workers must also partner with POEA-licensed recruitment agencies.


Once an agreement has been made between the Canadian employer and the foreign worker, the foreign worker must then apply for the appropriate visa to travel to Canada.

OFWs in the Philippines must submit requirements in order to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). These applications are not submitted directly to the Embassy of Canada, but rather through the Visa Application Centre (VAC).

The VAC responsible for applications made in the Philippines is VFS Global. You can find more information about VFS Global here.

Requirements for a typical visa application will include filling up the appropriate application package, and attaching the necessary documents including a copy of the LMIA from the Canadian employer, medical examination reports and police clearances.

After submitting the appropriate visa application, foreign workers may be called in for an interview.

Once the TRV has been issued, the OFW may now proceed to apply for an Exit clearance with the POEA.

OFWs must apply for an Exit Clearance from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), which includes attending the mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS).

For more information about the POEA, click here.

It is strongly recommended that OFWs make sure that their Canadian employers have already submitted the requirements for the Verification and Authentication of Employment Documents to the appropriate POLO before making travel arrangements.

POEA will not expedite processing of Exit Clearances based on travel arrangements already made.

Upon arrival to Canada, OFWs will be issued a Work Permit by Canada Border Services Agents (CBSA).

For more information about the CBSA, click here.


The Government of Canada currently has COVID-19 travel restrictions in place.

Only Canadian citizens and permanent residents are allowed entry to Canada at this time. Exceptions are being made for foreign workers and international students with valid work permits.

Foreign workers are advised have their Canadian employers contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before making any travel arrangements.

For more information about the Government of Canada’s travel restrictions, click here. is NOT affiliated with the Government of Canada, the Philippine Government, or any Philippine recruitment agencies or Canadian immigration consultants or lawyers.

All content on is for informational purposes only. makes no representations to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or any links found therein. will not be liable for any error or omission, nor for the availability of the information. will not be liable for any losses, injuries or damages from the display or use of information.

Leave a Reply